Visit your local museum store on December 1, and #BeAPatron
Don’t miss an exclusive shopping experience: Museum Store Sunday is coming up this weekend!
For the third year in a row, museum gift shops around the world present you with a one-of-a-kind shopping opportunity. Many participating stores give discounts on merchandise and museum memberships. But some shops also offer entertainment, free gift with eligible purchase, light refreshments, and/or gift-wrapping.
Museum Store Sunday Special Events
Here are just a few examples from around the US of special events the discerning shopper may expect on Museum Store Sunday.
In New Jersey, at the Princeton University Art Museum Store:
- Local textile designer Harshita Lohia will have a trunk show of handcrafted scarves, jackets, and accessories (12-5 p.m., Art Museum store location)
- A raffle for a gift basket filled with $1,000-worth of items from stores affiliated with the Philadelphia Region’s Patron Passport Program
In Nebraska, at Joslyn Art Museum’s Hitchcock Museum Store:
- A local calligrapher will be on hand to personalize any books purchased
- $5 off all gift memberships, plus a drawing for 5 free museum memberships
- Free cookies and ciders, while supplies last; and one free mimosa in café with purchase
In Washington DC, at The Gallery Shops of the National Gallery of Art:
- An Alice Sturzinger trunk show
- Hands-on art making
- A greeting-card demonstration
In Alabama, at the Birmingham Museum of Art Store:
- Gifts from local vendors, including Crave Candle Company, Piper and Leaf Tea Company, and artist Yogi Dada
- A cash bar, and live music
Why Shop at Museum Stores?
Museum store purchases are a win-win. The unique items you find in this environment thrill the recipients—and your purchase also supports your favorite cultural institutions. When you buy gifts at a museum shop, you provide economic sustainability for the museum, and cultural engagement for your community.
Where Can You Find Participating Stores?
More than 1,400 museum stores around the globe participate in Museum Store Sunday (MSS). Visit the MSS Product Gallery for a sneak preview of exclusive gifts you might find. There is also an interactive page to help you locate the museum stores nearest you. For information about participating stores in the UK/Europe, visit the Museum Shop Sunday website.
So start making plans to enjoy the extraordinary shopping experience known as Museum Store Sunday—or Museum Shop Sunday—and #beapatron!
Art Herstory particularly celebrates and thanks these institutions, where Art Herstory note cards can be found: Joslyn Art Museum’s Hitchcock Museum Shop, Princeton University Art Museum, The Gallery Shops at the National Gallery of Art, Clark Art Institute, and the Saint Louis Art Museum.